Thursday, July 18, 2013

Avventura a Firenze

Adventure in Florence!

These last few days of exploring Florence have been a delight. Now, I have adored exploring the city with my two "big brothers" (who may or may not have been old enough to be my dad...don't tell them I said that...), but it was really quite lovely to explore the city on my own.

I've hit a couple places that are "must sees" on the Florence list. For one, the Galleria d' Accademia to see The David.

Now, this is not a picture I actually took. Because taking pictures in the museum is prohibited. Which doesn't necessarily mean I don't have a picture...it just means blogosphere doesn't get to see it. But I can tell you this: the replicas of this statue - even the full scale replicas - don't hold a candle to Michelangelo's masterpiece. Seeing the original in person is an awe-inspiring experience. You can feel the pain and effort that went into this statue. You can see the veins, tendons, and muscles posed for battle. You can sense the artistic genius. And that's not even mentioning the hallway leading to the statue. It is filed with Michelangelo's unfinished prisoners. They, quite literally, seem to be charging and fighting their way out of the marble block. If you have any interest or connection to any kind of art, I highly HIGHLY recommend you get your but to Florence to see these works. They are astounding.

After coming up on art (and causing an empty stomach), I took Rick Steve's advice for a nearby lunch stop. In an absolutely adorable cafe, I had my very first real Italian spaghetti pomodoro.


Spaghetti, bread, and wine cost me under 8 Euro. Not too shabby!!

After coming up on pasta, the next order of business was getting lost in Florence. I know. That sounds crazy. But I'm a firm believer that you can't really know a city until you've gone off the beaten path. So of the beaten path went. Luckily, I found my way back before dehydration and overheating took over. I, after all, had to prepare for the next day!

Today (before it got TOO hot outside), I set out on my last adventure in Florence. One of the places I really wanted to see before I left was Piazza de Michelangelo and San Minato church. So I hiked my way up the massive staircases and reached my goal.







Then, headed back into the town for lunch, I ran into a string instrument flash mob!!


Jeez!! Chalk that up to things that probably only happen to you in European cities dating back to Roman times...

Finally, before heading home to get out of the heat (and the impending rain), I popped by Santo Spirito check and piazza (one of the only big places in Florence I hadn't seen) to say hello. It was beautiful, but not terribly exciting. I'm told it is much more exciting in the evening.

But alas, that will have to wait for my next trip to Florence. Tomorrow I will head back to the beautiful Dynamo Camp for another 9 day session. I look forward to more humbling experiences with talented, beautiful kids.

Ciao until next time, friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment