Monday, July 29, 2013

Avventure Avevano e le Lezioni Apprese

Adventures Had and Lessons Learned.

Well friends, my adventure in Italy has come to an end. But not without a few adventures on my way out!!

On Thursday, I had a bit of free exploring time, so I walked a little bit further down the mountain road. Our past San Marcello was yet ANOTHER small mountain town. I give you Mammiano!


This is really the only good picture of Mammiano...as there is absolutely nothing there except houses. It's cute, though! But the adventures don't stop there!

On Friday, I made a crazy decision. Leaving the gates of Dynamo...I decided to...turn the other direction!! There really want much there except these pretty mountains.


The real adventure happened when I started walking back to camp. One of the owners of the camp, Roberto, had passed me and was pulled over waiting to give me a ride back. Gratefully, I accepted. Now, Roberto's family once owned all of the land (and factories) that now belongs to Dynamo. He grew up in these mountains and its now, quite possibly, the most powerful (and wealthy) man in these parts. He's a good guy to have on your side.

So he drives us back to the camp, where he parks next to this cutie:


As I admire this lovely Fiat 850 Sport (1969), Roberto spontaneously asks if it's like to go for a ride. Actually, he asked if I wanted to drive it...but when I declined tredeptatiously he offered the ride instead. So of we went, cruising through the mountains with Roberto's faithful doggie Loch.


Roberto drove through several small mountain towns that were all quaint and lovely. But the highlight of the drive was out beyond the towns. When Roberto was a kid, and his family owned the copper factory, a suspension bridge was built across the mountains so that workers could get to the factory from all parts of the mountain. It is now made from steel and cables instead of wood and rope, but it is still the longest pedestrian suspension bridge in Italy (and possibly Europe). And it is still unnervingly wobbly.


After a having on the suspension bridge, we headed back into San Marcello where Roberto inspired upon refreshment from his favorite little cafe. So, like you do in Italy, I had a coca cola. FROM A TAP.


Having complete what will now be know as "The Fiat Adventure," we headed back to Dynamo where I had some of the best hours of my time in Italy.

First, I placed third in the obstacle course created by one of the cabins for their camp amusement park. I even got a "medal!"


Then, I got to dress in a funny costume and wake up a cabin full of teenage boys (who love the fact that I speak English) with a very loud rendition of our national anthem.


And THEN, my camp shirt got attacked by all sorts of signatures.


And on top of all that excitement, I got to watch my theatre kids put on an affordable rendition of Dudley Do-Right. It was great!! Still no pictures, of course, but believe me - they were ADORABLE!

Thus, my adventure in Italy has come to an end. I've seen a lot in these last few weeks...And I've managed to learn a couple of conversational Italian words!

Ciao = Hi/bye
Come va? = What's up?
Dai = Go
Via = Come on
Andiamo = Let's go
Dammi cinque = Give me five
Va bebe = Alright

And of course, I can order any food, gelato, or coffee in Italy. So I may be useless with the Italian language...But I won't starve!!

In this journey to Italy, I've also discovered some little things that we really take for granted in America. Of course, Italy is by no means a third world country...but it is definitely lacking in a couple things we've come to expect in our lives:

1. Free water. If you want water in a restaurant in Italy, be ready to pay for it. And finding water in public places is a massive challenge.

2. Public bathrooms. These are few and far between in Italy. And usually they cost about $0.50.

3. Clothing dryers. Clothes dry pretty quickly on a line in Italy...But the convenience of a dryer sure is nice.

4. Fabric softener. I'm sure they have it here, but it's not used by most people.

5. Air conditioning. Energy is REALLY expensive in Italy. So many houses just close up against the summer heat and open all windows at night.

Of course, none of these things are necessary for a happy life...but I'm definitely grateful that I get to go home to them!

So here we are. The end of the adventure. I'm now home without my sweetheart and kitty cats and preparing to jump back into work and performing. But fear not, friends. I have no doubt my next adventure is around the corner. And maybe I just might blog about that one, too.

Until next time, friends - keep adventuring!


No comments:

Post a Comment