Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Encore Lentamente!!

Repeat/again slowly!! This is, by far, the most common Italian phrase that comes out of my mouth around here. Otherwise, someone will lose an eye. Alas. On with the blog!!

This week I'm back at camp Dynamo for one more session (encore!). This time, my room in the villa is the penthouse suite! Really, it's just the only room on this floor...but it has a private staircase!!



I even have a lovely view of the linden tree! (Made even more beautiful by an approaching thunderstorm.)


So far, this go around has been amazing!! Since I already met a good chunk of the staff, I had friends already. Since I had friends already, it seemed like I knew what was going on, so the new volunteers befriended me more quickly. And because we're all friends...the kids are even more open and welcoming than last session!

Most of the session is exactly the same. However, we have gotten to do one thing different. On Tuesday afternoon, we got to ride with the kids up the mountain to the oasi (English: oasis). I lovingly call it "the teepees." This is a little campground near the top of the mountain where the kids get to camp in tents and sleeping bags and have stories around the bonfire. Here are a couple pictures that I snuck!



One of the most fun parts of this session is that several of the campers are quite fascinated by listening to me speak English, so they constantly want to talk to me and practice their broken English. It's a little like being a rock star! Or a side show. Of course, dressing silly and painting my face may help with the side show factor.


Nonetheless! This session has been amazing so far. And, while I still can't take pictures for privacy reasons, I can say I'm having a blast and constantly being humbled by these kids and volunteers. And as of today, we have three more days with our theatre kids (out of four total) to work up our Italian version of the classic melodrama Dudley Do-Right! It shall be interesting, to say the least!

Since it has been a very busy week, I haven't had as much mountain exploring time. But I DID have a pudding adventure! Look, guys! It's Italian squeeze tube pudding!!


In the next couple of days, there will be more time for exploring...so stay tuned for one more Tuscan adventure before I say goodbye to this beautiful country!

No comments:

Post a Comment